Monday 6 May 2013

The New Rhubarb

Over the past week or so, the rhubarb has come on leaps and bounds. In fact all the plants now seem to be making up for lost time. I was going to wait a few more days before picking my first crop, but decided I would be giving the smaller shoots a chance by cutting some of the (not much) bigger ones, mainly by removing their leaf canopy. So it was a gesture of goodwill really.


I picked just under 600g once the leaves were removed, and chopped them into approx. 1cm lengths. They went into a heavy based pan on the simmering plate, stirred with 200g of sugar, (150g cinnamon sugar and 50g soft brown sugar,) and cooked for around 20 minutes with the lid on, stirring occasionally. 

After a few stirrings, the fruit breaks down and produces a lovely pulpy jam. This proportion of sugar to fruit works better for eating 'as is' than 50:50 (which I used last year.) It gives the perfect balance of sweetness and acidity, and the cinnamon sugar adds an element of toffee apples. Highly recommended. I will mainly be eating this with Greek yogurt or vanilla ice cream, or straight out of the pan.


No comments:

Post a Comment